Author Topic: Whole Hog Qs  (Read 8164 times)

Offline squirtthecat

• Springfield-ish, IL
Whole Hog Qs
« Reply #-1 on: April 24, 2013, 09:50:42 AM »
I could use some input here from the experts..

Hal and I have been asked to do a whole hog for a wedding next spring (yes, they are planning WAY ahead  ;)), and we've never done anything like that before.     The guy said there would be around 400 people.     

So...    We have lots of time to practice.   8)

There is no way 1 hog is going to feed that many people.    Any ideas on the average yield from one of these things?   I think they run around 120 pounds from the meat packing place.   Perhaps smaller.   I'm sure the hog is for 'presentation', and we'll still have to delivery a metric shedload of pulled pork to feed everyone.

Any other tips?   Times/temps?   Tricks?   Gotchas?

TIA!!!
STC.

Offline Rummm

• If you're lookin you ain't cookin!
    • Ask-A-Butcher
Re: Whole Hog Qs
« on: April 24, 2013, 09:58:08 AM »
I've only done 35 lb'ers and below. Desi on the ATB does big ones all the time. If it were me, the one pig for presentation and then some whole shoulders or some butts 2¢
"Culture is what your butcher would have if he were a surgeon.''

http://www.ask-a-butcher.com

Offline Sam3

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 10:04:00 AM »
STC,

Figure a 1/2 per person if you are providing other food such as hamburgers, chicken, salads and other sides. I also include a 30-35% less yield of total uncooked weight due to in-edible parts, scraps, etc.

I do @2 hogs a year in my La Caja China. Average 85-100 lbs.
MAK 1 Star #385
Bradley OBS w/mods
WSM 22.5
Weber Platinum
Char Broil BEESR
La Caja China
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline squirtthecat

• Springfield-ish, IL
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 10:11:43 AM »

About how long does one take in your LCC?   

So 35% yield at best?   Yikes.

Ok, we'll definitely have 'real' pulled pork to go along with the presentation pig. 

Thanks guys!

Offline Tenpoint5

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 10:17:47 AM »
Squirt let me do some checking with the guy that built my big cooker
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Offline Sam3

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 10:20:08 AM »

About how long does one take in your LCC?   

So 35% yield at best?   Yikes.

Ok, we'll definitely have 'real' pulled pork to go along with the presentation pig. 

Thanks guys!

It's kinda of the same yield as if you butchered you own deer. Lot's of bones and such.

It takes me between 4 - 4.5 hrs to reach 160-165 IT.

I actually prefer to make a bunch of picnic's which take a little less time. If it's a BBQ and everyone is coming to see a "Pig Roast" then I'll do the whole hog. If I'm cooking for family and friends, it's picnic's all the way.

Here are a couple of picnic's I did a little while ago.

MAK 1 Star #385
Bradley OBS w/mods
WSM 22.5
Weber Platinum
Char Broil BEESR
La Caja China
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline squirtthecat

• Springfield-ish, IL
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 10:21:48 AM »

Thanks again!

Yeah, they guy is looking for the whole 'presentation' thing.   He specifically asked "can you leave the head on and everything??".   

Umm, sure.   ;)

Offline Tenpoint5

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 10:42:51 AM »
When doing hog roasts for 400+ they would do 2 250/280 pound hogs. That would fil 6-7 electric roasters with meat. If that helps any.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 11:04:11 AM »
Would like to see some pics when you do this cook

Good luck, should be fun
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline squirtthecat

• Springfield-ish, IL
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 11:06:38 AM »
When doing hog roasts for 400+ they would do 2 250/280 pound hogs. That would fil 6-7 electric roasters with meat. If that helps any.

Cool, thanks Chris!       Saw your # come across my cell, but I was on the Bat Phone dealing with something else...   ::)

Offline Tenpoint5

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 11:35:55 AM »

Cool, thanks Chris!       Saw your # come across my cell, but I was on the Bat Phone dealing with something else...   ::)

Momma made a suggestion. If they want a presentation hog, then just do a small suckling pig 35-50 pounder with the apple in its mouth. Then have the rest of the meats warmed up and ready to go in roasters.  Then your not doing the pig picking right there in the serving line.

Offline Sam3

Whole Hog Qs
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2013, 11:41:59 AM »

Momma made a suggestion. If they want a presentation hog, then just do a small suckling pig 35-50 pounder with the apple in its mouth. Then have the rest of the meats warmed up and ready to go in roasters.  Then your not doing the pig picking right there in the serving line.

That's a great idea.
MAK 1 Star #385
Bradley OBS w/mods
WSM 22.5
Weber Platinum
Char Broil BEESR
La Caja China
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline squirtthecat

• Springfield-ish, IL
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2013, 11:47:30 AM »

Yes, that is...    Sounds like the way to go.   I'll talk to this guy next time I seem him at the shop.

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2013, 02:07:16 PM »
Growing up I helped my Daddy do many  whole hogs and have done a few since I have been growed up. They were done on an open pit and took just about all night...which leads to some good comradrie among the cooks but you are tired a$$ the next day.
If I were going to do it I'd do a small, little hog as suggested and then do some "support" hogs in the La Caja China box.  They run about $300 for the size you want.  Go to their website and watch their videos...super!  It also cooks the hog in just a few hours and you don't have to stay up all night comardrietizing.    As far as how to do a whole "presentation" hog, there are some good videos on YouTube.  Alot of whole hogs are done in SC.  Dee
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 12:30:01 PM by deestafford »
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline Sam3

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2013, 02:29:41 PM »
Growing up I helped my Daddy do many  whole hogs and have done a few since I have been growed up. They were done on an open pit and took just about all night...which leads to some good comradrie among the cooks but you are tired a$$ the next day.
If I were going to do it I'd do a small, little hog as suggested and then do some "support" hogs in the La Caja China box.  They run about $300 for the size you want.  Go to their website and watch their videos...super!  It also cooks the hog in just a few hours and you don't have to stay up all night comardrietizing.  That's the next cooker I'm going to buy for my son in law fo his birthday in August...he doesn't know it yet.  As far as how to do a whole "presentation" hog, there are some good videos on YouTube.  Alot of whole hogs are done in SC.  Dee

Dee, I did a 102 lb'er in my LCC. A little bit of snapping and cracking, but it got in there.  ;D

For anyone that does catering, it's a pretty good investment.
I have a friend (chef) that does pig roasts as a side business. It's some nice easy money.
MAK 1 Star #385
Bradley OBS w/mods
WSM 22.5
Weber Platinum
Char Broil BEESR
La Caja China
Pit Barrel Cooker