Author Topic: It's Getting Riddiculously Crazy Out There!  (Read 1207 times)

Offline Cajunate

• Eatin Louisiana
It's Getting Riddiculously Crazy Out There!
« Reply #-1 on: March 14, 2020, 08:52:06 AM »

Things are getting seriously crazy! Yesterday I went to Sam's to get some necessities for a crawfish boil here for my wife's birthday today.  I intended to buy paper towels as we needed some at home as well as a case of bottled water for the patio shed fridge for today and I like to keep water out there for when I'm working outside. People were buying up paper towels and water like there's is no tomorrow. One guy coming out of the store had cases of gallon jugs of water stacked so high he couldn't see where he was guiding the cart. there was no toilet paper which I don't get the hoarding of that. I mean I'm sure stores will remain open for business. Yesterday I stopped at a local supermarket to get some fresh sausage for putting in the boil, also grabbed some lemons, liquid crab boil and some nice T-bone steaks I thought would make for a nice dinner in a couple of days. The checkout lines were like 10 deep. Since I only had about seven items I went to the customer service desk to check out. It's my turn and the lady says "cash only". First of all you'd think that they'd have some kind of sign saying this but they didn't.  I only had  a credit card on me so I walk off and ask a manager if this is true. "Yes, all of the credit card services are down". So, he says he'll re-shop the items I had and I leave.
This morning I had to do something early and since I heard people were buying gas like it's time to evacuate for a hurricane I decided to fill up early this morning. While out I passed a different supermarket(same franchise as yesterday)so I stop in to get those lemons, sausage and maybe some of those T-bones while they are on sale. I get to the meat dept. and stop and look around and they're like 98% empty of all meats. Never saw it like that except after Katrina when all meats went bad and they had to trash it and clean the coolers. 

I saw something this morning where people were buying up ammo at the Academy Sports yesterday afternoon. I tried to reserve some library books to pick up today and the library is now closed for the foreseeable future. Forget the reading I was planning on doing!

The only thing I see good today is that I'll be boiling crawfish and having ice cold beer this afternoon.  Can't wait to enjoy those!!!!! Although I do have to clean the patio of and pass the lawnmower in the yard.

Traeger Executive 125
Broil King Keg 4000
Primo Jr. Oval
 Cast Iron Jambalaya Pot
Various Outdoor Burners and Pots
Custom made Deep Fryer
Old Fashioned Open Pit Grill

Offline sschorr

• San Clemente, CA
Re: It's Getting Riddiculously Crazy Out There!
« on: March 14, 2020, 09:25:23 AM »
Where I am in SoCal:

No paper products on the shelves
Butter cleaned out.  All bread products except for store-baked - gone.
All water except for some bottled sparkling waters - gone.
Most packaged cheese products - out.
Meat and poultry - maybe 25% on shelves.
Most canned soups, stocks and broths - gone.
Potatoes of all kinds - gone.  In fact, only red onion left in that area.

I went at 5 AM this morning to beat the HUGE lines from yesterday.  Fortunately a local Albertson's opens at 5 as they have self-checkout, so cashiers show at 6 AM.  Yesterday was insane with every checkout line open and 5-7 people deep trying to check out.

Don't need to get sick to have life turned upside-down.  Just need good ol' fashioned panic.
Sam
MAK 2 Star #3634
Weber Summit E450
Blackstone 17" portable griddle

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2020, 09:26:37 AM »
Yep, they've done a masterful job of getting people all worked up.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2020, 11:56:47 AM »
Regardless of the "emergency du jour"....

I am convinced that the damage from how the mass of lemming like humans react from fear is greater than the disease organism itself will do.....
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Salmonsmoker

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2020, 12:17:10 PM »
Regardless of the "emergency du jour"....

I am convinced that the damage from how the mass of lemming like humans react from fear is greater than the disease organism itself will do.....

That's what happens when people become convinced that they aren't capable of thinking for themselves, so must only act on commands from the only ones who have the knowledge. Those who hold  positions of power. Reminds me of Katrina and NOLA.

Offline GusRobin

• Test
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2020, 02:57:24 PM »
yeah, it is going to be a wild ride for a while. Part of the panic I think is due to 24 hr news people needing to make something out of any minor thing. Yesterday they hounded Trump for not getting tested. Today as they were waiting for a press conference they made a big deal on the fact that the press corp had to have their temp taken before they were allowed into the press conference area and made a big deal out of the fact that one person had a elevated temp and was not allowed in. They went wild when the president said he had been tested (after they hounded him on why he wasn't tested.)
While this is all serious stuff, the news folks are doing a disservice by making every bit of news seem to be a disaster. (As they do in most crisis.)
Just my thoughts
Why couldn't Noah have swatted the 2 mosquitoes?.

Offline Smokin Soon

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2020, 08:36:34 PM »
What I really don't understand is the toilet paper thing. Did anyone predict a shortage? Also bread & water? I went to the store today and was shocked at the panic buying and empty shelves. My only relief was found when I discovered a good stock of Ribs and Chicken. Then of to the Beer wall, fully stocked! I'm happy these SF people know little about proper prepping.
[And the importance of proper lubrication during any virus outbreak.] Keep the Faith!

Traeger 070
2 Big Easy's

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2020, 09:59:22 PM »
Water never made any sense to me. Did my filtered tap water get contaminated? This isn't a hurricane people.  I really question the sanity of people to weather a storm in this country. We're getting soft.

My Costco was completely sold out of chicken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2020, 01:13:09 PM »
I punched a cop in the face yesterday....He said I got to take you to jail son...… Bread & water with TP Solved......LOL

If this ends up being a 100 year storm supplies will be in short supply
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2020, 01:16:06 PM »
yeah, it is going to be a wild ride for a while. Part of the panic I think is due to 24 hr news people needing to make something out of any minor thing. Yesterday they hounded Trump for not getting tested. Today as they were waiting for a press conference they made a big deal on the fact that the press corp had to have their temp taken before they were allowed into the press conference area and made a big deal out of the fact that one person had a elevated temp and was not allowed in. They went wild when the president said he had been tested (after they hounded him on why he wasn't tested.)
While this is all serious stuff, the news folks are doing a disservice by making every bit of news seem to be a disaster. (As they do in most crisis.)
Just my thoughts

See I only listen to TEE as he was they only one left that was there in 1918 & 1919
Big Easy IR fryer
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline Salmonsmoker

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2020, 01:28:58 PM »
What I really don't understand is the toilet paper thing. Did anyone predict a shortage? Also bread & water? I went to the store today and was shocked at the panic buying and empty shelves. My only relief was found when I discovered a good stock of Ribs and Chicken. Then of to the Beer wall, fully stocked! I'm happy these SF people know little about proper prepping.
[And the importance of proper lubrication during any virus outbreak.] Keep the Faith!

Smoke, my son-in-law and daughter both work for Costco in stores north of Seattle, and my wife works at their mail order prescription service. It's absolutely nuts at all of the area stores. Costco has had to resort to DisneyWorld style line-ups to keep chaos at a minimum and to keep from over-maxxing the max # of people per fire-marshal, including a police presence. One person out, they allow one in. Reminds me of combat Christmas shopping. SMH! I also shop at Restaurant Depot, and was there yesterday to get a corned beef brisket and eggs. It was nuts there too. I know one of the employees, and she said in her five years there, she's never seen it like this. Every parking space was full and all the goods carts were in use. I had to wait until a cart became available to get the few items I needed. They were well stocked of all items they carry. You have to have a business license to shop there. At least there wasn't any panic there, most buying supplies for their restaurants and businesses.

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2020, 01:50:44 PM »
In the bread business for years (81) as a family. During a snow storm scare we would be wiped out...….during a weekend of rain on the 4th....well......the pigs ate well the next week
Big Easy IR fryer
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2020, 07:58:22 PM »
I stocked up on handles of crown royal.  Bought two cases from Costco.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2020, 11:38:31 PM »
I stocked up on ... crown royal. 

Spark - that may not have been a great choice in whiskey but it was certainly an EXCELLENT choice of priorities.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2020, 12:09:18 PM »
  I went in Sams Friday about 2pm and the lines were longer than I have ever seen. Hurricane and Christmas combined. Luckily I just needed stuff from the pharmacy.
  I've had my eye on a Ruger Wrangler 22 revolver for a while and was near Academy Saturday. I went in and there was a line at the gun counter. I grabbed some ammo. There was plenty of 22 ammo on the shelf. But as I moved down the aisle there was NO 9MM and NO 40 cal period.  There was a small amount of 380 and the really high priced 45s.  Everything else looked OK. When I finally got to the counter the guy was happy I didn't want to shop... just buy.  He said they had two managers that had done almost nothing but check out gun sales for the last two days. Literally closed the store Friday night walking folks out that bought guns.   I know 9mm is the most popular ammo and clearly 40 is too but I'm rethinking having something in a less demand caliber.  (It's a good excuse to buy something anyway) ...

Terry "Way down in Alabama"