Author Topic: Got a new one today  (Read 941 times)

Offline Jaxon

Got a new one today
« Reply #-1 on: March 06, 2020, 09:07:57 PM »
I got this from Ace Hardware here in Byron because they offer free assembly and delivery. 
I sold the pelletizer for this because 1) it is easy;  2) it gets to temp fast - any temp;  3) it holds temp consistently;  4) it has a temp range up to 700 degrees;  5) set it and forget it for 10 hours or more;  6) burns charcoal - lump or briquettes;  7)  thin blue smoke when going low and slow.
I hope to have a decent video ready in a couple of days. In the meantime, ogle this.

https://www.masterbuilt.com/pages/gravity-series-560?utm_campaign=Charcoal%20Man%20Sweepstakes%20%28NAe2ai%29&utm_medium=email&utm_source=ALL%20SUBSCRIBERS&_ke=eyJrbF9lbWFpbCI6ICJqYXhvbjUyMUB5YWhvby5jb20iLCAia2xfY29tcGFueV9pZCI6ICJLUnZRWGoifQ%3D%3D
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
Re: Got a new one today
« on: March 06, 2020, 09:35:31 PM »
I got this from Ace Hardware here in Byron because they offer free assembly and delivery. 
I sold the pelletizer for this because 1) it is easy;  2) it gets to temp fast - any temp;  3) it holds temp consistently;  4) it has a temp range up to 700 degrees;  5) set it and forget it for 10 hours or more;  6) burns charcoal - lump or briquettes;  7)  thin blue smoke when going low and slow.
I hope to have a decent video ready in a couple of days. In the meantime, ogle this.

https://www.masterbuilt.com/pages/gravity-series-560?utm_campaign=Charcoal%20Man%20Sweepstakes%20%28NAe2ai%29&utm_medium=email&utm_source=ALL%20SUBSCRIBERS&_ke=eyJrbF9lbWFpbCI6ICJqYXhvbjUyMUB5YWhvby5jb20iLCAia2xfY29tcGFueV9pZCI6ICJLUnZRWGoifQ%3D%3D

Wow! Looks awesome! I can't wait to see it in action.
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline Smokin Soon

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2020, 11:14:10 PM »
I've had my eyes on that as well. Jack's reviews have a lot more value to me that the YouTube guys that get the freebies to promote. A gravity feed than can use lump or charcoal briquets with controllable temps seems interesting.
Traeger 070
2 Big Easy's

Offline RG

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2020, 05:16:58 AM »
I've had my eyes on that as well. Jack's reviews have a lot more value to me that the YouTube guys that get the freebies to promote. A gravity feed than can use lump or charcoal briquets with controllable temps seems interesting.

Agreed! I read some reviews, as with most things there are a few critical reviews but most are glowing (like hot charcoal, lol)

I bet it will be AWESOME! If I didn't already have way more grills than I need, I might be inclined to get one. Then again, I could always get rid of some other cookers to make room :P
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2020, 07:59:23 AM »
RG, I'll trade with you for that old KBQ.

just sayin'
<><

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2020, 09:32:14 AM »
What a great sounding new tool! My ONLY knock on Masterbuilt has always been that the built quality tended to be...flimsy. They are not alone in that category...lots of manufacturers shave on different aspect of a product in order to meet a pre-determined price point. In general...the more the features...the more the compromise. Otherwise - the prices would be stratospheric in nature. Example: Kalamazoo grills. Very little if any compromise...but who can really justify th multi-thousands of dollars they cost.....
Looking forward to see how this one does for you Jack! If you approve it...I may have to get one. ;D
T
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline RG

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2020, 01:08:27 PM »
I went to Home Depot today and they had it there. Looks funky but I like it. Stephanie said they should have made it wider, I agree but I do think it's a neat cooker.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2020, 06:54:59 PM »
They are going to release a larger version of this cooker later this year.

Not to tinkle in anyones Kool-Aid, I like Tim worry about Masterbuilts quality.

There electric smokers are decent but now we are talking about scorching temps with charcoal.

I hope they beefed it up in the places that matter...…………………………..
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2020, 11:23:27 PM »
Can't wait to see what you do with this cook Jack!
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Cajunate

• Eatin Louisiana
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2020, 08:43:59 AM »

Interesting. So it's basically like a pellet cooker(using gravity instead of auger feeding)except using charcoal for the fuel. What's the as cleanup like?
Traeger Executive 125
Broil King Keg 4000
Primo Jr. Oval
 Cast Iron Jambalaya Pot
Various Outdoor Burners and Pots
Custom made Deep Fryer
Old Fashioned Open Pit Grill

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2020, 01:20:15 PM »
Alright...I'll tell you straight up this grill uses thin metal on the side and lid, but has a solid foundation and is easy to move around on the deck.  Cast iron grates hold heat and when we set the temp to 650, it set a beautiful sear in short order. 
Did I mention the safety benefit?  The charcoal chute is closed top and bottom so I don't have ashes flying around or dropping onto the deck.  They fall into an extra large catch bucket that is easy to empty. 
So to cleanup...pretty easy so far.  I seasoned the cast iron well and greased the extra racks, which are porcelain coated.  There is a LARGE  drip tray that is easy to EMPTY and the entire bottom slides  out the back for easy cleanup.  I brush the grates whilst they're still hot and reseason them and the porcelain racks clean up with hot soapy water.  I'm pretty annual about keeping my grills clean and this one is easy to care for.
The controller is awesome.  Besides being able to set temps, it has a timer - counts up AND down.  Room for four probes and it is both Bluetooth and Wi-Fi capable.  The blue light display is very large.
Since it does have a Fire pot and igniter, I won't be replacing that and it draws current only to keep the fan going and most of the time it is on a very low speed. In fact, it runs at full speed only until the grill reaches set temp, then it runs only enough to maintain that temp...very quiet.
This afternoon we will be cooking wings and I will be using the Halo Bolt for the power source.
For my use and at a cost of $500, it is a nice grill.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 01:38:07 PM by Jaxon »
<><

Offline RG

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2020, 06:52:41 PM »
Alright...I'll tell you straight up this grill uses thin metal on the side and lid, but has a solid foundation and is easy to move around on the deck.  Cast iron grates hold heat and when we set the temp to 650, it set a beautiful sear in short order. 
Did I mention the safety benefit?  The charcoal chute is closed top and bottom so I don't have ashes flying around or dropping onto the deck.  They fall into an extra large catch bucket that is easy to empty. 
So to cleanup...pretty easy so far.  I seasoned the cast iron well and greased the extra racks, which are porcelain coated.  There is a LARGE  drip tray that is easy to EMPTY and the entire bottom slides  out the back for easy cleanup.  I brush the grates whilst they're still hot and reseason them and the porcelain racks clean up with hot soapy water.  I'm pretty annual about keeping my grills clean and this one is easy to care for.
The controller is awesome.  Besides being able to set temps, it has a timer - counts up AND down.  Room for four probes and it is both Bluetooth and Wi-Fi capable.  The blue light display is very large.
Since it does have a Fire pot and igniter, I won't be replacing that and it draws current only to keep the fan going and most of the time it is on a very low speed. In fact, it runs at full speed only until the grill reaches set temp, then it runs only enough to maintain that temp...very quiet.
This afternoon we will be cooking wings and I will be using the Halo Bolt for the power source.
For my use and at a cost of $500, it is a nice grill.

I think it's a solid price on it. Almost like it enough to buy it myself :P

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2020, 09:50:23 AM »
I read somewhere that the grate the charcoal sits on while burning is removeable. That pc there will get the most abuse and I betcha Masterbuilt will sell one to you for a back up.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2020, 04:09:40 PM »
The only reason - and it's a good one - that I would remove that piece would be so I could empty wood chunks in favor of a different type wood...much like changing pellet flavors.
<><

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2020, 06:25:37 PM »
So we went to Fleet Farm today to get some cat food and litter and what do I setting there all assembled?

Yup, the Masterbuilt 560. Next to it was the Weber Smokefire.

Grabbed the pick ticket after kicking the tires of the Masterbuilt.

Lets see, a set it and forget it charcoal unit or a pellet grill?

Give me charcoal any day of the week.

Luckily it fit in the Jeep along with the food and litter!!!

So Backyard Jack, any tips I need for the assembly of this bad boy??
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven