Author Topic: MAK 2 Star flame outs...  (Read 2777 times)

Offline rwalters

MAK 2 Star flame outs...
« Reply #-1 on: March 24, 2018, 05:14:54 PM »
Posted this on the MAK users FB page, thought I’d try here as well.

Question for you looong time MAK owners. Bought my 2 Star last March... and have cooked a lot on it in the past year. I am picky about cleanliness. The exterior is spotless, the inside is cleaned often and the vents are completely clear. All components are installed correctly.  Pellets are fresh and dry.  Over the past few weeks I have had numerous flame-outs.  I thought they were only occurring when I dropped the Pellet Boss by a significant temp (ie 450 to 300°). I had another flame-out this morning while doing bacon at 325°. Everything was clean, the MAK came up to temp and the bacon was on. About 15 mins into the cook, I heard the PB beeping. Went to check and sure enough, another flame-out.  In the year I’ve been cooking on this MAK, I have had no issues until recently.  Spoke with Dennis at MAK last week and he wanted me to verify that I was on version 3.2. I am. I plan on contacting him again this upcoming week, but I am curious to know if any of you can suggest a potential problem/fix. It’s driving me bonkers
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: MAK 2 Star flame outs...
« on: March 24, 2018, 10:29:48 PM »
Have not had that as an issue....but I will bet MAK will get it straightened out for you.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Lantern

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 12:01:43 AM »
Hope they get you fixed up bud!

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2018, 11:45:55 AM »
Have owned a MAK 2 Star since 2011 and I have never experienced a flame out.

But, as an amateur, if I were to make a guess I think it might be a Pellet Boss (PB) issue. I'm thinking maybe the PB is having the Auger feed too many pellets into the fire pot and/or the fan is malfunctioning.

My understanding of a flame out is when the fire pot fills up with pellets and smothers the fire until the Ignitor starts the fire again. Since there's so many pellets in the pot that takes a while but when it does you usually get a small bang/explosion.

You shouldn't get flame outs though with a MAK cause I believe that the PB is designed to turn the ignitor back on if and when the temp falls below 150ºF to prevent something like a flame out.

As I stated ... I'm an amateur and this is only a guess. Don't hold me to it!! Contacting MAK support and speaking with Bruce and/or Mark should get you a solution.
MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline Lantern

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2018, 04:01:32 PM »
Just going by what I understand how these things work.... Is there something hindering the air flow through the tube that the ceramic igniter is in? Other than that I feel like something is messing with your fan whether that's an actual controller problem or a PROBE/PROBE cord problem.

Just spitballing here.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2018, 08:55:30 AM »
Sure like to find out what MAK tells you......please keep us posted.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline rwalters

MAK 2 Star flame outs...
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2018, 11:17:18 AM »
Sure like to find out what MAK tells you......please keep us posted.
Stay tuned, I have another email into MAK. Will keep you posted.
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

Offline rwalters

MAK 2 Star flame outs...
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2018, 11:18:25 AM »
Just going by what I understand how these things work.... Is there something hindering the air flow through the tube that the ceramic igniter is in? Other than that I feel like something is messing with your fan whether that's an actual controller problem or a PROBE/PROBE cord problem.

Just spitballing here.
You may very well be on to something! Will let you know what I learn once we have it resolved.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2018, 02:01:41 PM »
Let me drop a hint......CALL MAK...... ;) :D

It will save you time, and you will get the problem solved. ;)
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline rwalters

MAK 2 Star flame outs...
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2018, 01:10:27 AM »
Spoke with MAK today. Still somewhat of a mystery. One thing did come up in our conversation that may be the culprit. I had a meatloaf smoking away at 225° yesterday afternoon. I happened to walk out in the backyard to check on things. I found the MAK operating in a way I’ve never seen or heard before. It was completely silent. It was at the proper temp, but it was absolutely silent. No sound of an auger or fan. MAK confirmed that even with the variable speed fan, I should never find the grill “silent”.  After about a minute of the silence yesterday the fan and auger kicked on. My homework assignment is to keep an eye on the fan during my next cook, watching for any sign of a fan shutdown. I will also check for a lose fan connection before my next cook. Hoping it’s this easy!!! :)

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2018, 08:42:24 AM »
Just curious...Is the 2 Star directly plugged in to an outlet? Or is it plugged in via extension cord? And the circuit that it is plugged into...Is it a shared or dedicated circuit?
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline rwalters

MAK 2 Star flame outs...
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2018, 09:43:16 AM »
Just curious...Is the 2 Star directly plugged in to an outlet? Or is it plugged in via extension cord? And the circuit that it is plugged into...Is it a shared or dedicated circuit?
Interesting you should ask. Bruce (Mr. BBQ) asked pretty much the same questions.  I am using an extension cord, about 12 foot in length. It’s just a basic cord. Bruce suggested replacing it w/ a 12 gauge. As far as dedicated or shared circuit... well, it’s the only outlet on our back patio, but I highly doubt that it is dedicated. Whatcha thinking? Please do educate me! :)

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2018, 09:47:48 AM »
Interesting you should ask. Bruce (Mr. BBQ) asked pretty much the same questions.  I am using an extension cord, about 12 foot in length. It’s just a basic cord. Bruce suggested replacing it w/ a 12 gauge. As far as dedicated or shared circuit... well, it’s the only outlet on our back patio, but I highly doubt that it is dedicated. Whatcha thinking? Please do educate me! :)
Just my 2 cents and no I don't own a MAK but I have found with my BEESR's (ele Big Easy's) that if you use a cord that's not a 10 gauge you can have issues OR if your on a circuit that's already pretty full (fridg-freezer etc..) you can get a drop in current if or when they kick on and possibly confusing the computer.

I know it's a stretch but it's possible..   My BEESR's would not heat up if using a cord less than the 10 gauge  cord  (found this on the prototype unit CharBroil sent me to play with)
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline rwalters

MAK 2 Star flame outs...
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2018, 09:57:17 AM »
Just my 2 cents and no I don't own a MAK but I have found with my BEESR's (ele Big Easy's) that if you use a cord that's not a 10 gauge you can have issues OR if your on a circuit that's already pretty full (fridg-freezer etc..) you can get a drop in current if or when they kick on and possibly confusing the computer.

I know it's a stretch but it's possible..   My BEESR's would not heat up if using a cord less than the 10 gauge  cord  (found this on the prototype unit CharBroil sent me to play with)
Very interesting! Geez, now you’ve got me thinking. I will buy a 10 gauge cord for sure! But as far as what else is on the circuit... hmmm, I guess I’ll need to find and turn off the breaker and see which, if any, big appliances go off with it (hopefully none).

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2018, 10:01:22 AM »

Very interesting! Geez, now you’ve got me thinking. I will buy a 10 gauge cord for sure! But as far as what else is on the circuit... hmmm, I guess I’ll need to find and turn off the breaker and see which, if any, big appliances go off with it (hopefully none).
A 10 gauge maybe OVERKILL for a MAK because of the amps required to run it vs a BEESR but it is something to think about.  I would think a MAK controler would be a small amperage draw since it's just a CPU and not a heating element run off a controler
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION