Author Topic: What will you be cooking your turkey on this Thanksgiving ????  (Read 4515 times)

Offline Hub

Re: What will you be cooking your turkey on this Thanksgiving ????
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2014, 07:43:36 AM »
A small one in the Maytag wall oven (in a cooking bag) full of stuffing for Thursday.  A medium one in the PBC on Saturday.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2014, 08:05:59 AM »
I won't be cooking one, but I will be eating one cooked in the commisary oven at 30Rock in NYC. I love having to work on Thanksgiving (it hurt to type that). Macy's parade in the morning, eat quickly, and then off to San Francicso for some football and hopefully eat again.

Offline aliengriller

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2014, 09:22:08 AM »
Planning on the rotisserie in my CB940X.   Have done them that way for years.   IF it looks like I won't have enough time, OR something other hitch comes along, I'll use the SRG.   Prefer (and so does family) the 940--apple chunks for smoke flavor.   Turkey right at 16#, started thawing it Friday, will inject Wednesday morning, let it sit for another 24 or so.   Planning on starting about 9:00-9:30.   99 yr old father in law gets VERY upset if "dinner" isn't at 12:00 sharp.   Can get frustrating, but I'll probably be worse IF I live that long.   

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2014, 09:37:03 AM »
I won't be cooking one, but I will be eating one cooked in the commisary oven at 30Rock in NYC. I love having to work on Thanksgiving (it hurt to type that). Macy's parade in the morning, eat quickly, and then off to San Francicso for some football and hopefully eat again.
Don..can I go with? I always wanted to see the parade in person.  Pam    .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2014, 09:52:37 AM »
I would do mine in the SRG as long as I have one. Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2014, 11:33:48 AM »
Don..can I go with? I always wanted to see the parade in person.  Pam    .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.

Pammie, you can hang with me anytime. We'll start about 3 in the morning to be ready to record the time shifted segments that start at 5 am in front of Macy's. Be awake and ready.

Offline TecCrash

• It's not just the grill smokin...
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2014, 03:55:25 PM »
One in the TBE and One in the SRG .... Both brined and then injected with Tommy's 2 stick recipe
Chris

OKJ Longhorn
Cook-Air
SRG
22.5 Weber Kettle
Camp Chef Explorer with Griddle
Generic Gasser - GONE - Got something else to store my stuff in.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2014, 04:09:35 PM »
We will be down in the valley at Wendy's sisters for Turkey Day and she will be doing one in the oven and I will be doing one in her Rec Tec.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline SmokinKat

• The Rounds Farm
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2014, 04:40:59 PM »
Heaven help us, but James is going to be cooking the Thanksgiving meal this year.  To up the ante, his 15 y.o. son with be playing the part of sous chef.   They'll be using the 2 star MAK for the turkey, and the 1 Star for stuffing, sides, etc. 

Ya'll can murmur a little prayer for us... First time for everything, I suppose?    :-\ :-X

James decided that since I raised the turkeys and will be butchering them tomorrow evening, they would take some of the load off my hands and do the cooking part.  No matter what happens,  I am so grateful to have that man in my life, he has such a sweet sweet heart... and is just chock full of unbridled optimism.  :)  :-*

(And yes, the fridge is already well stocked with wine and emergency rations.)   ;)
MAK 2 Star #2639
MAK 1 Star # 819
Office/Sales associate at MAK Grills
http://theroundsfarm.blogspot.com/

Offline RAD

« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2014, 04:47:17 PM »
Big Easy.

We are praying for you Kat. Enjoy the wine and let him do his thing. Remember, there isn't anything that gravy can't fix.
Love to cook and eat

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2014, 10:55:06 PM »
Heaven help us, but James is going to be cooking the Thanksgiving meal this year.  Is this the same James that created the bacon apocalypse on your MAK recently.... ??? ::) ;DTo up the ante, his 15 y.o. son with be playing the part of sous chef.   They'll be using the 2 star MAK for the turkey, and the 1 Star for stuffing, sides, etc. 

Ya'll can murmur a little prayer for us... First time for everything, I suppose?    :-\ :-X  Murmur you say....Oh no...SCREAMING might be in order. You want to be sure that the request is clearly heard and understood.....Perhaps a quick trip to the Wailing Wall? ;) :D

James decided that since I raised the turkeys and will be butchering them tomorrow evening, they would take some of the load off my hands and do the cooking part.  No matter what happens,  I am so grateful to have that man in my life, he has such a sweet sweet heart... and is just chock full of unbridled optimism.  :)  :-*  .....and a healthy dose of recalcitrance and humiliation for assaulting your MAK.... 8) 8) 8)

(And yes, the fridge is already well stocked with wine and emergency rations.)   ;)
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline pz

« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2014, 11:08:53 PM »
Nothin' special - brined and then into the SRG

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2014, 12:26:53 AM »
Nothin' special - brined and then into the SRG

Who needs a special turkey whe you got a hot tube with a view like yours PZ. ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline pz

« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2014, 11:30:44 AM »
I think you have a point there, LVC - sure is fun to relax on the weekend :-)

Plans might have changed - the son is going to his girlfriends family so we are having dinner on Sunday instead, and the wife wants me to make feijoada instead of turkey. We'll probably do a rack of spares on Thursday - I have a bunch of cheese I need to smoke for Christmas so we might as well make a day of it.

Offline SmokinKat

• The Rounds Farm
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2014, 03:39:52 PM »
WE SURVIVED!!   All it took was James standing in the kitchen alone for about ten minutes, staring blankly at a massive pile of ingredients before he sheepishly admitted that maybe he could use just a PINCH of help.   ;D   

He and his teenage son Garett did a great job injecting and dry brining the turkeys the day before (they got less spray on the ceiling than I usually do when I inject, so that was a winner!) 

Here are our two turkeys next to each other (they were both like 8-10 pounds).  The heritage turkey in on the left, and the domestic turkey on the right.  We raised both on the farm, but you can definitely tell a difference between the two breeds just from breast size.  The heritage turkey was actually a number of weeks older than the one on the right, but since the domestic turkey (this was a broad breasted white) was bred for big breasts, there is a remarkable difference! 

I lined the boys out for what needed to get started first, and they got to chopping like madmen. 

James spatchcocked the turkeys (he got a BIG kick out of pretending to do CPR on them while flattening them), and we got them set up on the MAK.  I'd read that heritage turkeys do better when they're cooked to a slightly lower temp than 'normal' turkeys, so I put that one on the bottom, and the domestic one up top. 

We'd also done some "Disney style" cured turkey legs from Meathead's recipe the night before to get us in the turkey mood.

James, again, getting REALLY into the spirit of things

I didn't get any particularly good shots of the turkeys when they were done (well... I got one shot, but they got tangled together in an unfortunate manner on the platter and the picture looked a little too risque for our PG rating here.) 

Breast meat on the two birds was really comparable (turned out juicy and just oh so good), but the dark meat on the heritage free range bird was definitely more flavorful.  Even still, both were far better than the turkeys we've had in the past, and we will definitely be raising these again!   We still have several of each type of bird, and I'll butcher the two domestic birds in another number of weeks when they get REALLY big.  :)  These type will top out at like 40-50 lbs (live weight), so I'll post pictures of those behemoths when we get to that point! 
MAK 2 Star #2639
MAK 1 Star # 819
Office/Sales associate at MAK Grills
http://theroundsfarm.blogspot.com/